Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Black, White, and a Splash of Coral (a simple bathroom fix)

The bathroom needed a change! 

 I bought this over the toilet shelf a while back off of Craig's List.......





It was pretty plain and boring. It needed a change. I thought painting was probably my only option, but I couldn’t make up my mind on what color to use…. And then one day, or shall I say, one late night it hit me! Decoupage!! 


I had everything I needed on hand and a few hours later (if that) It was (pretty much) finished  : )  The next day I brushed on some polly and voila! 

 All I needed was:
* Modgepodge 
* Some decorative tissue paper
* Exacto knife 
* Polyurethane
* A paint brush
* Black spray paint (for the knobs)

I cut the tissue paper in workable strips and made sure I liked where the print would be placed.

Starting at the top I put the modgepodge on the cabinet.

Again starting at the top I carefully put the tissue paper on smoothing as I laid it down.
It was sticking out past the cabinet, so After it dried I took my exacto knife and cut down the side.

If it’s still not to your liking you can take sandpaper and lightly smooth it on the edges.

I put one more coat of modgepodge on the tissue paper.

The next day I spray painted the knobs black and put some polly on the print to seal it good :)







 This was a quick and easy project that really added some character and style to the bathroom.


Parties I am linking to:





five days five ways | feature friday free for all

shabby creek cottageIt's Overflowing

button





















http://www.thethriftyhome.com


23 comments:

  1. What a HUGE difference for such a simple process! I love it!

    I would be thrilled if you would link this up at my very first Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL...going on right now (250 + links and growing...can you tell I'm excited??! : ))

    http://www.fivedaysfiveways.com/2012/01/feature-friday-free-for-all-1.html

    P.S. I'm your newest follower. : )

    ~Abbie (www.fivedaysfiveways.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow amazing what a difference that made and I love your choice of the damask pattern. Visiting from Southern Lovely. If you need more graphics I am sharing mine I have collected over the years on every Wednesday. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely lovely. I think I need to learn more about this modge podge stuff! :)

    New follower from Fabric & Bows.
    http://myhappilyeverafteragain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a makeover! I love the damask paper you chose - very dramatic. I would never have guessed that tissue paper could go on so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for following and the nice comment on my owl mantel! Love this and really makes an impact. Also loving the red branch - did you paint it to look like coral?

    Would love you to join our multi blog link party on Jan 31 - Imagine the Impossibilities.
    http://www.eclecticallyvintage.com/4/post/2012/01/imagine-the-impossibilities-challenge.html

    My challenge is purging and organizing 16 years worth of "stuff" in my basement - scary!

    Feel free to share the challenge and our button with your followers - the more the merrier!

    Hope to see you on the 31st!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the paper that you chose. Thanks for linking to Things I've Done Thursday.

    Melanie
    www.bearrabbitbear.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is wonderful. you chose the right pattern. it looks very classy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, friend! I'm admiring all your creativity here. Can you please share your posts at my Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great transformation! Thanks for sharing at my party. Can't wait to see what you link up next week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CUTE!! It makes such a difference! Thanks for linking up to Sassy Sites for trash to treasure Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My party just started and I'd LOVE to have you stop by and share this ~ TOTALLY impressive!!!
    Overflowing with Creativity
    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're an artistic GENIUS! Looks SO good!!! Thanks LOTS for sharing at Overflowing with Creativity!

    XO, Aimee

    PS Did you sign up for my giveaway yet!?!
    Awesome Customizable Frames, Art & Home Decor

    ReplyDelete
  13. PSS I'm excited to be your newest follower! I'd LOVE to have you return the "love" next time you visit!!! {if you haven't already}.

    XO, Me, again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Black and white splash of the corals are look so different and amazing.Art and creations on the cupboards are look so beautiful.


    lyrics to songs

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE your blog! So glad I finally had a chance to sit down and check it out...Caroline is actually taking a nap longer than 20 minutes. Thanks for the inspirtation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. love this quick revamp! i have book marked it :) hope you can check out my blog for some +vibes and inspiration! i also have a rad, one of a kind giveaway going on, very easy to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks so cool! I can't believe how much more stylish it looks afterwards. Great skills.

    I'm hosting a giveaway for some great accessories if you're interested:

    http://www.menacherieblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is such a great idea! I might have to steal it. What a fun way to spice up a boring cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This post is great! I'm new here...decided to say hi and not be a lurker. :) Love your blog so far- off to check out the rest of it! Have a wonderful week, sugar. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty! I heart your blog! I'm a new GFC follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, what a brilliant idea! It looks totally different and works so well. Great job!

    Thanks so much for dropping by my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I am following you now and invite you to join in with my weekly Say G'Day linky party! It's on now and this would be a great addition.
    http://www.natashainoz.com/2013/06/say-gday-saturday-linky-party-70-link.html

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete